WEBSITE DESIGN: In a saturated market, having a website that simply serves as a brochure will no longer give your company the competitive edge.
The core difference between good and bad websites lays in visual appeal, consistency and an ability to achieve business goals.
Is your website good or bad, and why does it matter?
Business owners usually contact web design companies to create websites and rely on their professionalism.
Budget constraints often result in people opting to create a website themselves, or to get it done by someone they think might know how.
Being able to see the difference between good and bad websites and evaluate the work of an agency or web designer is a big advantage because:
- Not every agency is going, to be honest, and create the best possible website for you. It can result in a mediocre product that doesn’t bring expected results.
- To engage with customers, it’s best to look at a website from a consumer perspective, and no one knows your core target audience better than you.
THREE REASONS WHY BADLY DESIGNED WEBSITES DON’T WORK:
- First impressions count: In 94% of cases, users’ first impressions are connected with website design. Northumbria and Sheffield University research.
- Users will not return: After a single bad experience, a user is 88% less likely to return to that website.
- Company credibility: 50% of users agree and 40% strongly agree that “the harmony between the colors of logo, text, links, and background” makes them think that this company is credible. – University of Surrey research.
Website design may seem like a subjective matter, but there are some objective design principles influencing users’ opinions and, therefore, interaction and lead generation.
WEBSITE USABILITY TIPS
Website conversion rate could increase by 200% to 400% with a well-designed interface created with the visitor in mind. To achieve this, check the following:
- Information hierarchy;
- Clear conversion paths;
- Responsivity appreciated by search engines;
- Clear navigation and structure;
- Easy-to-read copywriting.
- Text elements and photos match;
- Content text is easy to understand;
- Important information is illustrated;
- Are all website pages responsive;
- Call-to-action buttons distinctive enough;
- Is the navigation is clear
FDT Marketing Solutions can help you design, build, content manage and maintain a successful purpose driven website.
If you already have a website but you’re not not sure how effective it is our marketing experts can help.
Get a FREE website diagnostic report, and 20 minute online consultation.
The Difference Between Good and Bad Web Design
According to studies it takes about 50 milliseconds for a website visitor to make a judgment about a website, and visual design affects these first impressions.
So how do you know if it’s a good design? Ask yourself:
- Is the website visually appealing?
- Does it portray your brand and brand principles clearly?
- Is anything visually distracting?
- Background music;
- Overused Flash animations;
- Too bright colors;
- Distracting gifs;
- Annoying animations.
Apply animations to explain who you are in a detailed manner. The purpose must be clear, do not just animation them for effect, unless the subject of your website is animation design and services.
Bad typography kills great content. Some typography design mistakes create an impression of a sloppy website:
- Too big or too small font sizes;
- Never-ending paragraphs;
- Non-matching typefaces;
- Silly fonts like Comic Sans.
IMAGES AND ILLUSTRATIONS
Images matter, as they can create a long-lasting impression, demonstrate products from a better angle and motivate consumers to build relationships with a brand.
Design mistakes related to images:
- Fake generic stock images;
- Low-resolution photos;
- Pictures not fitting the website parameters;
- Images not related to the text.
Inconsistency is what makes a bad website.
Checklist to avoid design mistakes:
- All colors match each other and are taken from your brand book;
- All elements deliver a consistent message;
- Can you form an opinion about the company by looking at the main page only?